Two-Factor Frequently Asked Questions

What type of devices can I enroll?

  • Landlines
  • Smartphones
  • Non-smart cellular phones
  • Tablets
  • Yubikey fob


I don’t want to use my personal device, what are my options?

  • You can use an office/University phone.
  • You or your department can purchase a YubiKey.


I don't want the Duo app on my smartphone, what are my options?

  • You can still receive phone call authentication on the device.


What happens if I lost, forgot or broke my primary two step device?

  • We recommend that everyone have two devices set up for two factor, so if one of the devices is lost, broken, or not with you, you have another option to complete two factor authentication.
  • If you have only one device set up and that is not available, you will need to come to the UW ITC with a photo ID for us to reset your account. If you are not located in Laramie, please submit a request for help here.


What if I get a new mobile device after I've already enrolled in two step login?

  • If the phone number has not changed you can use the phone call method to log into self service and re-activate duo mobile on the new device.
  • If you have a backup device registered you can use it to update your primary device.
  • If you do not have a backup device you will need to request help here.


How does the remember me check box work?

  • You can remember the second authentication for 14 days so that an employee would only need to use two factor to authenticate once every two weeks.
  • This option is specific to the browser, so if you select it within one browser, you will be required to two factor again if you use a different browser.
  • This setting works with a cookie saved in the browser, so clearing cookies or open a browser in a mode that doesn't allow cookies will require two factor for additional logins.


How do I two factor if I am out of the country or on sabbatical?

  • Duo Mobile push works anywhere with internet connectivity.
  • YubiKey is a key fob that can provide the secondary authentication.
  • The duo application can be installed on apple and android tablets.
  • If these options do not sound like they will work in your situation, we can also set up your account use passcodes while out of the country.  Please submit a request for that here.


Will I have to use two step login? Can I opt out of two step?

  • You will need to use two factor to log in for both the safety of your data and the safety of the university community. There is no opt out procedure.
Was this helpful?
0 reviews


Article ID: 136284
Sat 10/16/21 9:37 PM
Sun 12/19/21 8:31 PM