Note: Functional knowledge and use of this application is the responsibility of the user.
Through the Microsoft Campus Agreement, the University of Wyoming (UW) provides the latest versions of Microsoft Office Professional (for both Windows and Macintosh operating systems) for UW-owned computers. Supported versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system are also provided through this agreement. These specific Microsoft software installations are provided free of charge to departments.
Cooperating agencies will need to make arrangements through the UW Microsoft Academic Select License Program to gain access to these resources. Further information on this program can be found on the UW Select Program Web page or call 766-3686.
For ease of installation of this software, Information Technology (IT) provides network installation points. Access to these network locations is restricted to UW domain accounts, and the Microsoft licenses restrict the installation of these products to UW-owned computers only.
Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac Applications
- Office Communicator
- MSN Messenger
- Microsoft Server Exchange Support
- Automator Actions for Workflows in Microsoft Office
Minimum System Requirements for Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac
- Processor: A Mac computer with an Intel processor.
- Operating System: Apple Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later.
- Memory (RAM): 1 GB of RAM or more.
- Hard Disk: 2.5GB for a recommended install
- HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) hard disk format
- Drives: DVD drive (or connection to a local area network if installing over a network).
- Display: 1280 x 800 or higher resolution monitor.
- Mouse or compatible pointing device.
- Entourage and certain features require Internet access.
- Safari 5 or later recommended
- Additional information on the system requirements for Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac and specific items and services can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/mac/office2011features/office2011.mspx .
NOTE: These are the minimum requirements for running Office 2011 for Mac. Performance may be degraded if the computer resources are limited by a minimum configuration.
- Accessing the Network Installation Point for Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac
- Select the Go menu, and click Connect to Server.
- In the Connect to Server window, in the Server Address box, type smb://uwapps.uwyo.edu/OFFICE2011MAC$and click Connect.
NOTE: Make sure that you have typed the correct slashes (i.e. / and not \).
- In the Authentication window, choose Registered User. In the Name box enter your UW domain username. In the Password box, enter your UW domain password, and click Connect.
- Double-click the Office_Mac_Standard_2011_SP2_English.dmg file in the OFFICE2011MAC$ window to mount the Microsoft Office 2011 image to your Desktop.
- Installing Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac
- In the Microsoft Office 2011 window, double-click Office Installer.
If a warning window appears, click Continue.
- In the Install Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: Introduction window, read the message and click Continue.
- In the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: License window, read the license, click Continue, and then click Agree.
- In the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: Installation Type, if the location listed is acceptable for installation, click Install.
- Type in your administrator username and password and click OK.
- The installation process will begin.
- If you get a message stating "quit_apps" is an application downloaded from the internet…, click Open.
- In the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: Summary window, click Close to complete the installation.
- If you receive the following screens on installation, do the following:
- In the Your copy of Office for Mac is now activated window, note the product key and press Continue
- In the Existing/New Settings window, choose to use your existing settings or create new settings and click Continue.
- In the Keep Office for Mac up to date? window, choose whether or not you want to keep Office for Mac up to date, and if you want to join the customer experience improvement program. You can also register your copy of Office 2011 online at this time. Click Continue when done.
- In the Congratulations! You're now ready to use Office for Mac window press Done.
- Locate OFFICE2011MAC$ on your Desktop, and drag it to the trash to un-mount it.
- Opening a Microsoft Office Application
- Click one of the Office icons that is now in your dock.
NOTE: The first time you launch one of the of Office applications, Office will do an initial software setup. This only happens once.