There are printers for student use located in each of the UWSTUDENT labs on campus. The UWSTUDENT lab computers in these labs are automatically configured to print to these printers. However, with the completion of just a few steps, it is also possible for a student to print to these printers from their own personal computer connected via the UW wireless network.
NOTE: This procedure is documented for computers running Mac OS X.
NOTE: You will need to be connected to the UW wireless network.
Wireless print jobs are charged for at the same rate as those from UWSTUDENT lab computers. For more information about print costs, the UWSTUDENT lab system, or where to pay for additional print quota, go to http://microlab.uwyo.edu.
- Open System Preferences.
- Select Print & Scan (or Print & Fax on older OS X versions).
- To add a printer, select the plus (+) symbol at the bottom of the list of printers.
- If you do not see the Advanced button, right click or Ctrl-click in the grey bar to select Customize Toolbar.
- Drag the Advanced button onto the dark grey bar.
- Fill out the information as shown below:
Type: Windows printer via spoolss
Device: Another Device
URL: The printer URL you want to print to. You will need to know the exact name of the printer on Grail. For a list of current printer URLs and locations please see: http://microlab.uwyo.edu/labs/macprinters.asp
Name: Your preferred name for the printer
Location: Your preferred location for the printer
Print Using: Generic PostScript Printer
Click the Add button when you are sure everything is correct.
- You should now see the printer listed in your Printers list.
- You can test your printer by printing a document or web page.
- When you try to print, you will be asked to fill in your UWYO username and password. Be sure to use UWYO\usernamein the Name box.
- Please note, if you do not have enough print credit on your account, the document will not print. Please visit http://microlab.uwyo.edu/printquota.asp to add to your print quota.